The Woman I Am Review

Kellie Pickler, "The Woman I Am", Black River Entertainment
Rating: 5 Stars

Pickler's 2012 release, "100 Proof" is a hard act to follow, easily my favorite country album of 2012.  However, with her unapologetic and personal new release, it might give the reminiscent traditional sounding album a run for it's money.

The best thing "The Woman I Am" album does is capture Pickler's multi-dimensional personality, and each track does that exceptionally.  The different sides of Pickler's personality are literally represented on the album cover.  

She pulls off her pristine image and rolls it in the dirt on a few cuts.  The bouncy "Little Bit Gypsy'" and the tongue in cheek "No Cure for Crazy" show that Pickler's unafraid to challenge female stereotypes.  "White picket fence don't feel like home / don't need a rock/ need a rolling stone" suggests a desire to be spontaneous and nomadic while  "No Cure for Crazy" pokes fun at the pristine small-town image we've come to associate with her.  "I can try to act like you think I should but it ain't gonna do no good."  

Being honest was always Pickler's strong-suit; She doesn't hide her blemishes.  On this album in particular, she puts the spotlight on them.   'The Woman I Am" is so human that it's almost intimidating to listen to.  "I get loud with a beer /  Sometimes I cuss too much because I don't give a damn."  The calm melody is in sharp contrast with the bold lyrics.  The title track also represents Pickler's final stake in the ground - the end of her struggle to find a sound and a record label that is right for her.  Also, maybe, the end of her attempt to make pretty for the cameras.  Another very personal track, "Selma Drye", about Pickler's grandmother, is a favorite of mine.  It has a grassroots folksy sound that is a refreshing topic in an clamour of songs about heartbroken love affairs.   "Folks round town said she was mean / but they never saw the woman I seen / never even touched a washing machine / and hung everything on the line"

Other tracks are just lovely, taking a trip towards the pop-country sound that Pickler deserted a few albums ago.  "Closer to Nowhere" and "I Forgive You" could be top hits on country radio with a neo-traditional sound.  She maintains strong ownership of the melody and the lyrics.  You have to be impressed with Pickler's artistic development.  Compared to the cute and innocent sounding, "Red High Heels", released in 2006, the new songs are mature solid country songs, with a hint of Pickler's signature sass and class.  

"Bonnie and Clyde" is perhaps the biggest potential hit on here.  Pickler busts on the stage, rootin' tootin' and pistols blazing - reminding all listeners that she's not here to play.  "I knew I'd be doing time / when you locked your eyes with mine / I jumped in and took a ride / I'm your Bonnie, you're my Clyde".  The song is comparable to "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood and "Kerosene" by Miranda Lambert.  

"The Woman I Am" is all personal,  honest, and real.  You can tell that a great deal of effort was taken to hand pick each song, and each word, on the CD.  Pickler continues to push her own boundaries, as well as challenge the direction of country turned pop in an industry of blending sound.  One can only hope that Pickler will receive proper recognition for her outstanding work.  

Cheers to The Woman She Is!

My favorites:
"Bonnie and Clyde"
"Selma Drye"
"The Woman I Am"
"Closer to Nowhere"
"Little Bit Gypsy"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angels

Shell of a man

Kindred Spirits