Veestro is a solid prepared meal service for the busy vegan

…and not so bad for anyone else either.

I have been experimenting with meal services lately in an attempt to facilitate a healthy lifestyle change.  Over the years, I’ve used Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Green Chef, Sun Basket… and most recently, Daily Harvest.  I decided to give the prepared ones a try since I prefer to cook dinner separately or order something out.  My meal service meals are great for a quick, healthy lunch. 

Veestro intrigued me because I am interested in eating more vegetables and less meat, and the food looked tasty.  I ordered the Chef’s Choice, Customer Favorite’s with 10 meals.


I have to say, overall I was impressed with the taste, quality and portions.  It was the perfect amount of food, flavors were generally great, and you often forgot you were eating vegan. 

First, I tried the Breakfast Burrito.  This was actually quite good.  One thing I noticed is that usually the microwave instructions were a little short on the timing.  I would add 1-2 minutes to however long it tells you to heat the food. 

The Country Fried Chick’n was just alright.  While the “Chick’n” did have the consistency of a breaded cutlet, the sides were not very good.  I would say, in general, my least favorite part of Veestro were the side vegetables they included.  Usually, these are brussels, cauliflower, or broccoli.  While these vegetables are great fresh, they typically tasted quite chewy and similar to a Steam Fresh bag when you heat them in the microwave.  Consistency may have been better if you heated it in the oven.

The Pasta Bolognese was absolutely delicious.  It tasted like something you would get at a five star restaurant.  Definitely recommended.  If you are worried about these dishes tasting like TV dinners, you don’t need to worry.  They are all pretty flavor packed and good quality.

Pasta Bolognese

Several of the dishes carried an Asian influence and they were all delicious.  I really liked the Soba Noodles in Peanut Sauce and the Red Curry with Tofu.  Like I mentioned previously, you didn’t really miss the meat.  These were all superb and very tasty. The sauce was absolutely delicious.  The Thai Chick'n Stew was flavorful and the Chick'n strips were much better and more palatable than the fried ones.


Thai Chick'n Stew

The Baked Mac and Cheez and the Chick’n Quesadilla were just alright.  I feel like the filling struggled to give the Quesadilla enough body to be satisfying.  It wasn't bad... just wasn't anything I would go out of my way to order again.  The Baked Mac and Cheese lacked flavor. 

Chick'n Quesadilla

Overall, I was pleased with the service.  I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5 for the average Joe looking for a quick and easy, relatively healthy meal service.  I would give it 5 out of 5 stars for a vegan with a busy lifestyle.  There are few prepared vegan meal services out there, and this one is delicious.  Keep in mind, there is another option for Weight Loss that I didn’t try.

Favorites:

·       Pasta Bolognese

·       Soba Noodles in Peanut Sauce

·       Breakfast Burrito

·       Red Curry with Tofu

Pass On

·       Baked Mac & Cheez Dinner

·       Country Fried Chick’n


Recommended for

·       Vegans, Vegetarians

·       Those looking for healthy, prepared meals

Not recommended for

·       Meat lovers (obviously)

·       Those concerned primarily with cost


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angels

Shell of a man

Kindred Spirits